Congratulations to AWARE’s 2019 Women of Distinction Honorees (from left to right): Janine Reep, Jorden Nigro, Francine Eddy Jones, and Susan Macaulay. Congratulations, ladies!! We had a great time celebrating these women on March 9th as we honored them and their great accomplishments.
AWARE is extremely grateful for all supporters of our 23rd Annual Women of Distinction Dinner and Silent Auction! It was a privilege to join with our community in celebrating Francine Eddy Jones, Susan Macaulay, Jorden Nigro, and Janine Reep. Their incomparable contributions to our community and their words of wisdom and inspiration made the evening a wonderful celebration! AWARE’s annual fundraising event was made possible by generous gifts of expertise, energy, and heart. Our thanks to emcee Kris Sell for hosting superbly; Tom Locher and Clay Good for providing opening music, Lela Stevenson for her beautiful rendition of “This Is Me,” Jesse Kiehl for his great auctioneering, Amy Carroll for designing the printed program, and Jeanette St. George for producing table names. Thanks to video-tapers Scott & Donna Johnson, photographer Rachel Gearhart, and to Rie Munoz Gallery for artwork. Thanks to Jack Beedle for gift cards and Martha’s Flowers and Gifts for arranging our centerpieces. This year, we also give a very special thank you to Kathryn Beers, for exquisite sharing of courage and words. The Women of Distinction Gala is a wonderful opportunity to honor women who have made outstanding contributions while supporting work to end violence in our community.
The generous financial support of our Corporate Sponsors helps make this event all that it is: Gold Sponsors First National Bank Alaska and Sealaska Corporation, Silver Sponsors Hecla Mining and Alaska USA Federal Credit Union; our precious gems Diamonds: Jamie and John Bursell, M.D., and Wellspring, Sapphire: Wade Bryson, and Emerald: True North federal Credit Union. A special thank you to Alaska Airlines and Holland America Line, K3 Public Radio and the Juneau Radio Center for their very generous in-kind contributions.
Deep gratitude to our auction donors, both businesses and individuals, listed on our website www.awareak.org, as are photos from the evening- guaranteed to bring an instant smile to your face!
Thanks to AWARE’s dedicated Board of Directors: Officers: Mary Aparezuk and Libby Bakalar, Michele Masuda, and Katie Erickson, and members Allsion Caputo, Amy Dressel, Diana Paul, and Elizabeth Pisel-Davis, Pat Race and Camille Severance. The board joins me in extending deep appreciation to our event coordinator Mandi Canady who worked tirelessly to bring the details of the event to life.
AWARE’s ability to work with survivors of domestic and sexual assault is greatly enhanced by Juneau’s community support. Proceeds further AWARE’s work with those impacted by domestic and sexual violence, and in our community-wide prevention efforts. Together we are working towards a community of respect for ourselves and others. Gunalche’esh! It would not happen without you!
To see photos from the evening, please see below!
The objective of the Women of Distinction Event is to:
- Celebrate women of distinction in our community;
- Recognize women whose work (paid and/or volunteer) has benefited the lives of women and children in Juneau;
- Honor unsung heroes of the community, as well as those with publicly recognized achievement;
- Support and encourage community members and groups to recognize women of distinction within their organizations; and
- Raise funds to support AWARE’s work with victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Demonstrated Commitment: Candidate has demonstrated a commitment to improving the quality of life for women and children in Juneau.
- Integrity, Dedication, Motivation: Candidate has demonstrated qualities of integrity, dedication, motivation and leadership in the community.
- Willingness to Share Skills & Knowledge: Candidate has demonstrated the willingness to share her skills and knowledge.
- Role Model: Candidate has demonstrated qualities of a role model.
- Supports Diversity: Candidate’s work has represented and/or supported diverse groups within our community.
For additional information, call Mandi Canady at AWARE or email her at WOD@awareak.org.
P.O. Box 20809
Juneau, AK 99802
(907) 586-6623 (business)
(907) 586-2479 (fax)
(907) 586-1090 (crisis)
1 (800) 478-1090 (toll free in AK)