AWARE’s legal advocates are available to help women obtain a protective order, by providing women with the appropriate paperwork and accompanying women to protective order hearings. The legal advocate can also provide women with information about where to obtain child support/custody case paperwork.
We may be able to help you obtain no or low-cost legal services through ANDVSA’s Pro Bono Program.
For more information, please call (907) 586-6623 and ask for a legal advocate. Click on the links below or call the phone numbers listed for more information.
What is an Advocate?
An AWARE Advocate is a person who has been trained to respond to domestic violence and sexual assault emergencies. An advocate’s primary concern is assisting a victim and her children to develop a plan for immediate and long-term safety.
An advocate’s job is to:
- Listen to an individual and problem solve with them rather than for them;
- Assist an individual in identifying abusive patterns and behaviors within their intimate relationship;
- Offer victims information about their rights and discuss options;
- Assist in developing a safety plan that is tailored to fit the needs of the individual;
- Honor the decisions individuals make in regard to their immediate and long term safety;
- Offer individuals and group support as well as community resource information and referrals.