An AWARE Advocate is a person who has been trained to respond to domestic violence and sexual assault emergencies. An advocate’s primary concern is assisting a victim and her children to develop a plan for immediate and long-term safety.
An advocate’s job is to:
- Listen to an individual and problem solve with them rather than for them;
- Assist an individual in identifying abusive patterns and behaviors within their intimate relationship;
- Offer victims information about their rights and discuss options;
- Assist in developing a safety plan that is tailored to fit the needs of the individual;
- Honor the decisions individuals make in regard to their immediate and long term safety;
- Offer individuals and group support as well as community resource information and referrals.
All advocacy services at AWARE are confidential and free of charge.
Call 907-586-1090 in Juneau or 1-800-478-1090 in Alaska.
View a list of all AWARE services.